America’s first culinary celebrity to be toasted at restaurants throughout Pasadena as a kick-off for SIP-tember cocktail bracket challenge
Pasadena’s restaurants and lounges invite everyone to come to Pasadena and enjoy a citywide cocktail party on August 15, 2012, to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the birth of America’s first culinary celebrity, Pasadena’s own Julia Child. Some of the venues will be hosting Julia Child costume contests and other special offerings.
Special events are being held at several participating venues.
- Toro Sushi Bar Lounge will host a Julia Child Costume Contest, with the winner receiving a gift certificate.
- 300 Pasadena is celebrating with a 1950s-themed party and will also host a Julia Child Costume Contest.
- Ruth’s Chris Steak House is holding a SIP-tember kick-off party in the lounge with happy hour specials on food and drink, including their four entry cocktails.
- Vertical Wine Bistro is featuring a special Julia Child menu throughout August, featuring some of her signature dishes.
- POP Champagne and Dessert Bar is preparing a special Julia Child menu for the week leading up to the Julia Child Cocktail Party.
- a/k/a an American Bistro chef James Lambrinos is preparing a special fixed price menu with Julia Child favorites.
- In addition to the SIP-tember cocktail entry from the Tap Room, the Langham Huntington Hotel is featuring a special Julia Child menu in the Dining Room.
Everyone is encouraged to dress for a 1950s, 1960s or 1970s era cocktail party, or dress like Julia Child, and to celebrate responsibly and take part in a simultaneous toast to Julia Child at 7pm. The full list of participants can be found at www.pasadenarestaurantweek.com.
The Julia Child Citywide Cocktail Party will kick-off the SIP-tember cocktail bracket challenge, a six week long celebration of the cocktail in Pasadena. From August 15th through September 27th, local restaurants will serve cocktails that will be paired against each other in a competition. 64 cocktails, ranging from drinks specially concocted for the competition to margaritas and sangria, will begin the competition that will last six weeks and culminate in a live taste-off of the four drinks that win their bracket.
SIP-tember and citywide Julia Child cocktail party participants include a/k/a: an American Bistro, Magnolia Lounge, Bar Celona, POP Champagne and Dessert Bar, the Tap Room at the Langham Huntington Hotel, Vertical Wine Bistro, California Pizza Kitchen, El Portal, Gale’s, ix-tapa, Green Street Restaurant, El Cholo, Japon Bistro, Villa Sorriso, Market on Holly, Bar 1886 at The Raymond, New York Deli, 300 Pasadena, Ruth’s Chris Steak House and Toro Sushi.
Cocktail pairings for the SIP-tember Bracket Challenge were announced on August 2nd. Voting will be open on August 15th at www.pasadenarestaurantweek.com.
The Pasadena celebration of Julia Child’s birthday is being organized by the Pasadena Chamber of Commerce with our participating restaurants. SIP-tember is collaboration between the Pasadena Chamber of Commerce and our local member restaurants with support from Merrill Lynch/Bank of America and the City of Pasadena. The Citywide Julia Child Cocktail Party is part of JC100, a nationwide tribute to Julia Child on the 100th anniversary of her birth.