Cheeseburger Week and the Cheeseburger Challenge return to Pasadena from Sunday, January 10th through Friday, January 15th.
Join Pasadena restaurants, burger joints, lounges and more as we celebrate the invention of the cheeseburger at Pasadena’s Rite Spot. In 1924, intrepid teenager Lionel Sternberger (really!) first placed a slice of cheese on a burger and served it to a customer at his father’s roadside stand at 1500 West Colorado. Creation myths abound, but our favorites are these:
- Young Lionel was working at the Rite Spot and accidentally burned a hamburger. Rather than waste the patty (and risk his dad’s ire) Lionel placed a slice of cheese on the burned side and served it to a customer (who was delighted to have it.)
- A hobo ordered a hamburger and wanted as much as he could get so asked Lionel to add everything he could to the patty, including cheese.
- Lionel Sternberger was a culinary pioneer who was constantly experimenting with the fare at his dad’s roadside stand. He tried all sorts of things before thinking to put a slice of cheese on a hamburger, thus inventing the cheeseburger.
What is burger fact is that the Aristocratic Burger (as Lionel called it) sold at The Rite Spot for 15 cents. (You can actually see one of the menus from the 1920s at the Pasadena Museum of History.) The Sternberger family operated a restaurant on the original location into the 1960s and it remained a restaurant into the 1970s.
All of Pasadena celebrates the invention of the cheeseburger in the birthplace of the cheeseburger during a week of fun, food and cheeseburgers! Come out to your favorite restaurant or try a new one. From luxurious gourmet burgers to your basic (and delicious) cheeseburger to pub burgers and alternatives to burgers, you can find something to satisfy your cheeseburger craving in Pasadena during Cheeseburger Week.
1821 people took the Cheeseburger Challenge and voted for their favorite cheeseburger at during Pasadena Cheeseburger Week 2103. During Cheeseburger Week from January 10 to January 15, 2016, you can vote for your favorites among several categories.
It’s not too late to plan your Cheeseburger Crawl in Pasadena. You can plan your own or follow one of our suggested Cheeseburger Crawl routes. Check it out by clicking here.
The results list the top vote four getters in each category (unless there were fewer than four entries). Total votes received by each of the favorites are also listed..
Pasadena Cheeseburger Week is presented by the Pasadena Chamber of Commerce with Gold Sponsor the City of Pasadena.
The Cheeseburger Challenge is a fun way for people to support their favorite Pasadena area restaurants. We are also very pleased with the addition of so many more restaurants to this year’s event. Whatever someone might have wanted in a cheeseburger could be found among our participating restaurants.
Even CNN is on the story: click here to see Casey Wian’s story on Cheeseburger Week.
We’ll host the third Cheeseburger Challenge. Once again, you’ll get to vote for your favorites in a number of categories, from traditional lunch counter burgers to white table cloth an alternative cheeseburgers. We’ll also have an alternative cheeseburger category or two, as well.
Plan to come to Pasadena for a Cheeseburger Crawl, take the Cheeseburger Challenge and celebrate Lionel Sternberger’s culinary legacy in the city where the cheeseburger was first served to a customer.
Check out the Cheeseburger Challenge by clicking here. Voting is live on Sunday, January 12th for one week only
Here are our participants for the 2014 Cheeseburger Week in Pasadena and the gamut of burgers they each serve (click on the name to go to the web page, click on the menu item for the full restaurant burger menu):
- 41 Hugus Alley Pasadena, CA
- tel: 626.564.8111
- Call 626.564.8111 for reservations
- Grilled Certified Angus Burger
- Roasted Portabello and Brie on Focaccia
- 219 S. Fair Oaks Avenue in Pasadena
- The Dagwood Burger 1/2 pound ground Sirloin Burger, Cheddar Cheese, on an Brioche Bun with all the trimmings. Served with House Fries 12.25
- A.B. Burger 1/2 pounder, avocado, Bacon & Swiss, Served on an Artisan Roll with all the trimmings & House Fries 13.25
- 140 Shopper’s Lane in Pasadena
- tel: 626.440.1008
- Cheeseburger Week Special: Bison burger topped with gruyere, roasted roma tomatoes, fried fennel rings, marinated artichokes, carrot strings and butter lettuce (also available with 100% natural red angus beef instead of bison.
- Twelve different types of cheeses to choose from so you can build your own cheeseburger without limitations
- Vegan veggie burgers and gluten-free buns also available.
- Build your own gourmet burger
- 99 East Union Street in Pasadena
- Call 626.844.8810 for information
- Estonian Burger (beef and cheese filled crepe)
- 105 North Hill Avenue in Pasadena
- 626 577 HAUS
- Cheeseburger white american cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, mayo, mustard, ketuchup $4.50
- THE FREIBURGER cheese, fries, coleslaw, fried egg, mayo $6.25
- The Hangover haus chili, white american cheese, smoked bacon, fried egg, mayo $7.25
- Holy Aioli white american cheese, caramelized onions, smoked bacon, haus garlic aioli $5.95
- Hail Maria sautéed mushrooms, caramelized onions, cheddar cheese, mayo $5.95
- The Ringer cheddar cheese, smoked bacon, bbq sauce, onion rings $5.95
- The Little Mule fried egg, pepper jack, haus tomatillo sauce, cilantro aioli, avocado $6.50
- Reuben’s Cube hot pastrami, swiss, sauerkraut 1000 island $7.25
- Big Ern McCracken 2 1/3lb angus beef patties, 1 all-beef hotdog, melted cheddar cheese, mayo $8.50
- Sliders angus beef, white american cheese, grilled onions $1.50 each
- Make it a double for only $1.75 more!
- 695 East Green Street, Pasadena
- Call (626) 795-8553 for reservations
- Zacatecas Burger
- 452 South Fair Oaks Avenue, Pasadena
- Tel: 626.432-6705
- The Cheeseburger
- 146 Shoppers Lane in Pasadena
- Make a reservation through Open Table
- Thai Burger with Gingered Shittakes
- All American Burger
- Ahi Tuna Burger
- Peppercorn Burger
- Southwest Turkey Burger
- 20 E. Colorado Blvd. Ste. 102, in Pasadena
- tel: 626.793.3010
- Smokehouse Burger
- Happy Hour Cheeseburger
- Duck Sliders
- Jay’s Burger
- 260 S Raymond Ave, Pasadena, CA 91105
- (626) 356-4444
- Burgers: Fresh Chuck Ground Several Times Daily, With Fries, Cottage Cheese, Or Kale Salad. Served On A Leaf ”in A Bun’ Or Our Housemade English Muffin
- Cheeseburger (Lettuce, tomatoes, pickle, onion, russian dressing, grated tillamook cheddar)
- Santa Fe Depot Burger (Wood-fired poblano chili, grated cheddar, chipotle aioli)
- Vegetarian Burger (house-made – fresh grains, nuts, seeds)
- Tuna Burger(Best ever pan-seared medium rare, avocado, tomatoes, lettuce.
- The Howie Burger (Gruyere, caramelized onions, dijon sauce)
- 105 N Hill Ave, Pasadena, CA 91106
- (626) 449-6246
- For the ultimate in grilled cheese, Melt It! offers:
- 913 East California Boulevard in Pasadena
- Call 626.795.1123
- Turkey Burger
- Vegetarian Burger
- Download the $10.95 Cheeseburger Week Special $10.95 meal
- Pie ‘n Burger Special Meal Coupon 2013
- 33 East Union Street in Pasadena
- Call for reservations: 626-795-1295
- Trio of Sliders on Brioche Bread: 1) Chorizo, Provolone, Guacamole; 2) Bacon, Gorgonzola Mayo, Port Redux.; 3)”Cubano” Black Forrest Ham, Cheddar, Atomic Pickles, Mustard. Served with fries (also offered in regular sized, individual burgers).
- 899 East Del Mar Boulevard (at Lake Avenue) in Pasadena
- (626) 844-8900
- RFD BURGER NFTempeh vegetable patty, sautéed onions, lettuce, tomato on whole grain bun10.75For the Worksadd avocado, tempeh bacon, melted cashew cheese14.75
- 395 North Rosemead Blvd., Pasadena CA
- tel 626-351-8885
- Gorgonzola Cheeseburger
- Garbage Burger
- Mighty Fine Swine Burger
- Rio Grande Burger
- Cheeseburger in Paradise
- A Real nice Veggie Burger
- Pat E. Melt
- 61 North Raymond Avenue in Old Pasadena
- THE 50/50: Designed to perfection, our signature patty is topped with a sunny side up egg, avocado mash, pepper jack cheese and chipotle adobo mayo on white brioche.
- B’ B’ B’ BACON BURGER: Bacon-lovers unite. Our 50/50 patty with bacon American cheese, sunny side up egg, thick cut bacon and bacon island dressing on a bacon pretzel bun.
- THE OLD TIMEY: The classic American burger with Sterling Silver ground beef, American cheese, thick cut bacon, grilled onions, green leaf lettuce, tomato and 1000 island dressing on white brioche.
- THE FLAMIN’ HOT: Spice things up with our signature fire beef patty, beer battered jalapeños, fire roasted green chilies, pepper jack cheese and chipotle adobo mayo on white brioche.
- HAWAIIAN BURGER: Island-inspired, our 50/50 patty topped with grilled pineapple, Spam®, sunny side up egg, American cheese, baconnaise and a teriyaki glaze on white brioche.
- PEANUT BUTTER & JELLOUSY: Slater’s favorite and award winning! Sterling Silver ground beef topped with thick cut bacon, creamy peanut butter and strawberry jelly on a honey wheat bun.
- FRITOS® CRUNCH BURGER: A chili cheeseburger with a crunch! Our Sterling Silver ground beef patty topped with melted cheddar cheese, our signature chili, Fritos® and 1000 island dressing on white brioche.
- BIG DADDY MELT: The Patty Melt, Slater’s style! 2/3lb Sterling Silver ground beef patty, melted cheddar & Swiss cheese, grilled onions and a horseradish aioli sandwiched between grilled rye bread. WORLD’S GREATEST TURKEY BURGER: We challenge you to disagree! Our turkey patty topped with smoked gouda, baby greens, red onions, a portobello mushroom cap and creamy pesto sauce on a honey wheat bun.
- THE EAT YOUR VEGGIES BURGER: Hearty vegan patty, alfalfa sprouts, avocado mash, cucumber slices and garlic aioli on a honey wheat bun.
- 1224 North Atlantic Boulevard in Alhambra (just south of Huntington Drive)
- See all the burgers offered at Twohey’s by clicking here:
- For a complete list of Twoheys burgers, click here.
- 49 East Colorado Boulevard in Old Pasadena
- 626-799-UMAMI (8626)
- Umami Burger: shiitake mushroom, caramelized onions, roasted tomato, parmesan crisp, umami ketchup
- Truffle Burger: house-made truffle cheese, truffle glaze
- Hatch Burger: 4 types of green chilies, house cheese spice up your life
- Port and Stilton Burger: blue cheese, port-caramelized onions
- Cali Burger: butter lettuce, slow-roasted tomato, house spread, house-made american cheese, caramelized onions
- The Greenbird: shelton farms turkey, crushed avocado, green cheese, butter lettuce, sprouts, green goddess
- Earth Burger: mushroom & edamame patty, white soy aioli, truffle ricotta, cipollini onions, lettuce, slow-roasted tomato
- Manly Burger: beer-cheddar cheese, smoked salt-onion strings, bacon lardon
- Ahi Tuna Burger: hand-chopped ahi tuna, crushed avacado, daikon sprouts, pickled ginger, wasabi flakes
- 70 North Raymond Avenue in Pasadena
- tel: 626.795.3999
- Vertical Burger Nights
- Tokyo Kobe Burger $15: kobe beef with lime pickled onions, wasabi ginger aioli
- The Bison Burger $15: caramelized onions, burrata cheese, arugula and herb lemon dressing
- Classic Kobe Burger $15: Wisconsin cheddar cheese, tomato, grilled onion, russian dressing
- Veggie Burger $14: caramelized onions, morbier cheese, tomato, and herb aioli with choice of side:
- sweet potato fries, shoestring truffle fries, beer battered onion rings
- add a Beer Flight: 3 taste @ $12:
- Manifesto Wit Bier, Craft Brewery Eagle Rock California
- Barbar: Quenast, Belgium: Honey Ale
- Arrogant Bastard Ale, Microbrewery Escondido California
- Make a reservation through Open Table
Starting January 10th, take the Cheeseburger Challenge here:
Check out some of our media coverage:
View more videos at: http://nbclosangeles.com.